Skip to main content


Oldham Council Local Offer

Local Authorities have to publish details of all the support that is available for children and young people with Special Education Needs.

This information is called the 'Local Offer' and must include education, health and care services and must be clear and easy to understand.


The new Children and Families Bill released by the government has changed how we at Knowsley Junior School have to support children with Special Education Needs (SEN). These changes are starting in September 2014, and we now place the pupils at the centre of planning. The bill gives several key principles, which are:

  1. Young people and their families should be involved in discussions about the support they need, so they can share their knowledge and feed back to the school on the young Persons progress
  2. Education, health and care plans (EHC) will replace statements of special educational needs. New assessments for additional educational needs will follow the EHC guidelines from September 2014. (Existing statements will remain in force until all children and young people have completed the transition, which will be within three years)
  3. School Action and School Action Plus will cease and be replaced by a single school-based category for children who need extra specialist support.

Knowsley Junior School is fully prepared for these changes, and is looking forward to working with students and their parents in order to ensure that their access to education is fully inclusive.

At Knowsley Junior School we want all children to achieve as much as possible at school.

We have many steps and strategies to give all children the support they need.

Some children need additional support is to make sure they achieve as much as they can, beyond Knowsley’s usual high standards of teaching.

More to follow…

Oldham Council 'Additional Needs' Register

What is the Additional Needs register?

The Oldham Council review and update their services regularly to make sure they meet the needs of children and young people.

To help do this, the Oldham Council has a list of children and young people that includes information about how their special needs or disabilities affect their life. This gives them a wider picture of the support services they need to develop.

You can help influence the improvement of these services by adding your name, or your child's name, to this register.

It's entirely voluntary of course, and doesn't affect the services you get. 

Is it confidential?

Yes. The information is kept securely following the rules in the Data Protection Act 1998.

General information is shared with people who plan services, but they don't know the names of the children or young people.

Personal information is limited to professionals already directly involved with your child and the register co-ordinator, and not given to anyone else without your permission.

If you would to add your child to the Oldham Council Additional Needs Regsiter, please click on the following link.